Whether it’s the day before your wedding or you’re getting ready for a big first date, we have all been plagued by the magical appearance of a horrible pimple! Yep, man’s mortal enemy, the zit, is an equal opportunity social life destroyer. It doesn’t discriminate no matter your age, gender, race, creed or color, pimples can sometimes appear from seemingly nowhere and have you scrambling for a quick solution to get rid of your pimples fast!
What Causes Acne?
While acne problems may exist into our forties and fifties, it usually begins when we reach puberty. It’s during this delicate time that our bodies begin producing all kinds of crazy hormones namely Androgens. Androgens soon become the catalyst for acne by causing the enlargement of sebaceous glands which excrete excess oils. It’s these oils that mix with dead cells and bacteria present on the skins surface and soon enough our pores become blocked. The bacteria begin to multiply inside and before we know it, we have a pimple!
Contributing Factors for Acne
It’s commonly thought that there can be several contributing factors to acne outbreaks and the overall severity of the problem. Genetics will dictate how prone to acne you will be.
Certain medications may contribute to acne outbreaks. Facial beauty products or harsh cleansers can lead to blocked pores or over drying of the skin. Popping or picking existing blemishes and zits leads to possibly more acne and scarring. Knowing what your skin does and how it does it is as important as knowing the factors that contribute to acne.
- Genetics. You may be more prone to acne if you had relatives who also were afflicted by the same acne issues.
- Prescription Medicines and steroids, while they may be utilized for preventing and treating pimples and skin issues they can also result in outbreaks.
- Oily make-up especially certain foundations and even moisturisers can clog the skin’s pores.
- Very harsh and caustic facial cleansers or toners that dry out the skin which results in the body producing more sebum to protect itself which means more spots.
- Picking existing spots or blackheads can only spread the infection and can cause acne scarring which in severe cases of acne causes permanent scarring.
All these things may either cause acne or make it worse.
Will Eating Chocolate Cause an Acne Breakout?
Studies show that specific foods do not cause acne. Just because you splurged on a big chocolate Sunday last night or a huge bag of greasy potato chips, doesn’t mean you will wake up to a face full of zits! It is recommended however to eat a balanced nutritious diet of lean meats, fruits and vegetables, drink plenty of water and exercise regularly as those same studies suggest that a healthy diet will aid in healthy skin.
Home Remedies For Acne
In the end, no matter how good our genetics or how diligent we are with hygiene, almost everyone is sure to experience a pimple or two in their lifetime. While there are literally thousands of acne solutions on the market it’s important to research any kind of treatment and possibly even consult your doctor depending on the type of treatment or medication you plan to use. Many are chemical based and could end up causing more harm than good. As a result many acne sufferers are turning to home remedies that are all natural, much safer and definitely more cost effective.
These simple all natural acne remedies will aid in reducing the inflammation and unsightly appearance of pimples and many of them can help to even get rid of a minor pimple overnight. You can make most if not all of these solutions from what you probably already have in your house and not have to worry about the possible side effects of over the counter harsh acne treatments that may end up making your condition even worse! Here are some natural, organic acne home remedies:
- Toothpaste: Using just a small dab of toothpaste on a pimple overnight can yield quick results in eliminating inflammation and redness associated with most pimples. The size of the blemish should diminish quickly but also be careful as toothpaste will dry out the skin. Rinse thoroughly in the morning with warm water.
- Strawberry Leaves: Grind the leaves with a little bit of water to make a paste and dab onto the pimple. Let site for about 5 minutes then rinse clean with warm water. The alkalinity of the strawberry leaves aids in reducing swelling and redness.
- Salt & Vinegar: Mix up a paste of the two and apply to pimples for about 15 minutes or so. Rinse with warm water.
- Cucumber: Grind up one cucumber in a small bowl and apply the pulp to the affected area for 20 minutes until it dries. Rinse with warm water.
- Lemon & Rose Water: Mix up a one to one ratio of lemon juice and rose water and apply to your face for about 30 minutes. Great for spot treatment and ongoing treatment to get rid of acne as well as blemishes and minor scarring.
- Tumeric & Mint Juice: Mix into a paste and dab onto the affected area for about 30 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Garlic: Mash up some fresh garlic and apply directly onto pimples. Careful of the smell though!
- Milk & Nutmeg: It may not be a cure but blend some milk and nutmeg into a paste for acne fighting power! Nutmeg is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. You can even add a bit of honey for additional bacteria fighting action!
- Calamine Lotion: Clean your face thoroughly and pat dry, then apply some calamine lotion and leave on overnight. Calamine will have an intense drying affect on your skin (so be careful)!
Additional Acne Fighting Treatments
If you are feeling a bit more adventurous and have the time and patience, here are some additional acne fighting concoctions that have been reported to also yield excellent results in the war against zits!
- Egg Yolk: This one sounds a little odd but an egg yolk mask can aid in eliminating excess facial oil. Just use a cotton ball to dab on some egg yolk and leave on for about 20 minutes or so. Rinse thoroughly.
- Sour Cream: Try mixing up equal parts of sour cream, ground oatmeal and yogurt combined with about 3 drops of lemon juice as an aromatic acne solution! Leave on for about 10 minutes and rinse.
- Groundnut oil: Combine with one tablespoon of limejuice and use as a spot treatment.
- Sandalwood: Known for its cooling properties, sandalwood will aid in reducing inflammation.
- Mix up about a ½ cup of cooked oatmeal and an equal part of mashed up apple. Combine with a tablespoon of lemon juice and a beaten egg white until you have a nice paste to apply as a cleansing agent to your entire face for about 15 minutes.
Remember that topical treatments in any form will only be effective to a degree. To learn more about how to treat your acne from the inside out using a proven 4 part acne fighting system, click below.